Tuesday, May 19, 2015

File Cabinet Make Over! (Picture Intensive)

I have been looking for a 2 drawer file cabinet for my craft room for a long time.  Not wanting to spend a lot for one. It was hard to find one that was in good working order with no dents and had the rail system in it.  And I finally found one.  Only problem was.  It was this metallic blue!


I gave the cabinet a quick sanding to smooth out any imperfections and sand down the corner on the top that had some chipped paint.  And wiped it down with a clean towel. 


I had some primer in a spray can so used that to put a coat on the cabinet and the drawers.  Note: primer isn't perfect, but it does cover the whole cabinet. We just want the paint to stick.



I did add a second coat of primer to the sides. I did a light coat so it wouldn't run, when dry added a second coat so so much blue didn't show though.


Next, I got out my HomeRight Finish Max Sprayer (note: mine says Command max, they changed the name to Finish Max) but its the same sprayer.  I had a few other things to paint so did them all at the same time as this sprayer is so fast and easy to use.  I like to paint several things at one time.  You can see the file cabinet on the saw horses.  And the drawers in front of it.  On the table is my HomeRight sprayer along with a Doll bed for my grand daughter and a shelf for my bathroom.  All painted in 5 minutes.  I love this sprayer. It has hardly no over spray.  


 Then, I worked on something else for the file cabinet.  My friend showed me this file cabinet make over on Pinterest and wanted to give it a try.  So I needed a small frame and didn't have two small ones.  So I made my own.   I got out my table saw and a 1 x 3  . Which is not a true 1 x 3 its more like 3/4 x 2.5.   I set my fence to 3/4 inch. Use a tape measure to check the distance between the fence and blade.


You end up with 3 strips the same width.  This 1 x 3 had a slight rounded edge on the sides. So I used the 2 out side strips.


I then measured the cabinet drawer fronts. And decided I wanted 1 inch on all sides.  So I measured my wood and cut 4 at 9 inches and 4 at 10 inches.  So my frame would be 9 x 10.  And then cut 45 degree angles on the ends.    Used my brad gun and Gorilla wood glue.


Then I painted the frames in a Teal acrylic paint.  And got ready for the next step. 




I bought this new fabric to redo my room. Isn't it so cute!  So I cut a piece just smaller than my frame. And drew a light pencil line around the frame after checking placement. And used Mod Podge Matte. (Didn't have the Fabric kind so just used what I had)  and used a foam brush to paint a light layer on the cabinet drawer inside my pencil frame lines. Then laid the material on and smoothed it out.


It dries pretty fast.  So I then put a layer on the top to help protect the fabric.  When it was dry it felt rough. I guess bubbles from the foam brush or maybe because it wasn't the fabric kind. But easy fix was taking a nail file and lightly running it over the material to smooth out the bubbles.


Then used a exacto knife to cut a X in the center where the handle opening was. And used Mod podge to glue it to the inside.  And then replaced the center handle inserts.   Added my frames using Goop All Purpose Glue.   Added a little to both file cabinet and frame, let sit for 2 minutes, then attach and let sit over night. I used some heavy books to help it bond.


And here is my finished File Cabinet.  Isn't it super cute!  I just love how this turned out. I love this material.  I wanted purple and teal.  And found this material at Joanns. It's so perfect for my craft room. I love the Flowers, Bird, Branches, Script, Clock and Eiffel tower.   I am using Teal as my trim to help bring out the tiny bit of the deal in the material.  And so its not overly purple.


Here is a close up of the material and frame.  


This is what I needed the cabinet for.  I use a lot of scrap cardstock and pattern paper in my cards. And my file box was getting full and taking up odd space next to my table.


Now its all organized in the drawer.  I have both cardstock and pattern paper in the bottom drawer. Look how organized it is now.


And then had this basket of all my Unopened Sizzix Eclips Cartridges and blades and controller in this basket that sits on top of my desk next to the machine and have to move it every time I use the machine.


And now it all fits in the top drawer of the file cabinet and out of the way till I use it. So freed up that basket for more rolls of ribbon.

Hope you enjoyed my project.  I will be working on more as I redo my room theme.  So check back often.

Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment